Recipe by MamaJ
This is a recipe that I clipped from a magazine years ago, but unfortunately can't remember which one. It was a makeover version of a person's favorite high fat casserole into a reduced fat/calorie dish. My husband and I really enjoy this. I usually serve it with a salad or steamed vegetable for a complete dinner. (Note: Cooking time does not include time to cook brown rice.)
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups skim milk
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Sauté shrimp in 1 T. butter 2-3 minutes until pink.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining butter to pan and sauté mushrooms, onion, and pepper until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, and cayenne.
- Gradually add milk until blended.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes until thickened.
- Add rice, 1/2 cup cheese, and shrimp.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, cover and let stand until cheese is melted.