Recipe by JWS
This recipe from Dana Carpenter, 500 Low-Carb Recipes allows me to enjoy BBQ while staying true to a lo-carb diet. It thickens up nicely, has great flavor and stores well in the refrigerator. Dana Carpender says 2 Tbsp serving has 3 gr carbs, 1 gr fiber for 2 grs usable carbs.
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml oil
- 59.16 ml Splenda sugar substitute
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml dry mustard
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 9.85 ml blackstrap molasses
- 354.88 ml water
- 59.14 ml cider vinegar
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 14.79 ml prepared horseradish
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 14.79 ml liquid smoke
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, cook the garlic and onion in the butter for a few minutes.
- Stir in the Splenda, salt, mustard, paprika, chili powder, and pepper. Add in the molasses, water, vinegar, Worcestersire sauce, and horseradish, and stir to combine. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whisk in the tomato paste and Liquid Smoke, and let the sauce simmer another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool, transfer it to a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and store in the refrigerator.