Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A comedy of errors resulted in this delicious and beautiful red soup just in time for Valentine's Day.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- peanuts, chopped
- Heat oil over medium heat and add onions. Saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger. Saute for two additional minutes.
- Add spices, cabbage, sweet potatoes, broth, tomatoes, wine and salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check sweet potatoes for tenderness. When done, remove soup from heat and stir in peanut butter. When melted add lemon juice just to combine.
- Serve topped with cilantro and peanuts.