Recipe by Mr Jackson
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis Show: Everyday Italian Episode: Romantic Dinner
- 3 1⁄2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice or 1 cup medium-grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas, defrosted (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the broth to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover the broth and keep it warm over very low heat.
- Melt the butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in the rice and cook for about 2 minutes until the rice is toasted. Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 3/4 cup of hot broth; simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 6 minutes. Repeat, adding 3/4 cup of hot broth 2 more times, stirring often, about 12 minutes longer. At this point, the risotto can be made 4 hours ahead. Refrigerate the risotto (the rice will still be firm) and remaining broth, uncovered, until cool, then cover and keep them refrigerated until ready to proceed.
- Bring the remaining broth to a simmer, then cover and keep it warm over very low heat. Stir 3/4 cup of hot broth into the partially cooked risotto over medium heat until the broth is absorbed and the risotto is hot, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining broth and simmer until the rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in the peas and parsley. Add the 1/2 cup of Parmesan. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Spoon the risotto into bowls. Sprinkle additional cheese over and serve.