Recipe by JOinspain
Easy to make sauce which I love to serve with meatballs and mashed potatoes! The amount of garlic used should be tailored to your preference and I recommend that it is sliced to add some texture to the sauce along with the onion. Mashed potato or fresh bread is recommended to soak up all the sauce from your plate!
- 300 ml red wine
- 200 ml water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 small onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chives
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep pan (suitable to include the sauce and whatever you plan to serve the sauce with), heat the olive oil.
- Finely chop the onion and add the garlic finely chopped, sliced, crushed or a combination and fry until onion is cooked.
- Add the wine and bring to the boil, letting it boil for 30-40 seconds.
- Add the water, stock cube and chives.
- Mix until the stock cube has dissolved then reduce the heat.
- Simmer over a medium low heat for 10-15 minutes so that the liquid reduces by a quarter (approx).
- Season with salt and pepper and reduce the heat further.
- Mix the cornflour with a little cold water and stir into the sauce to thicken it slightly.
- Once the sauce is made, add the meat or veggies that you plan to marinade in it and leave it in there for 5 minutes to absorb the flavour.