Crafty Lady 13's Note:
A variation of the usual strawberry shortcakes. These would be perfect for a 4th of July cookout and make a very pretty presentation. The star shaped shortcake is made with Bisquick and contains chopped dried cherries. I found this recipe in the Betty Crocker Summer Get-Togethers cookbook. Time does not include the 1 hour stand time for the strawberries. Time-saver tip: Use frozen whipped topping, thawed, instead of the whipping cream and sugar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 quarts strawberries, sliced (6 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 2/3 cups Bisquick
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons margarine or 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup whipping cream (heavy)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1Mix strawberries and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Let stand 1 hour.
- 2Heat oven to 425°. Mix Bisquick, milk, cherries, 6 tablespoons sugar and the margarine until soft dough forms. Turn dough on surface lightly dusted with Bisquick; gently roll in Bisquick to coat. Shape dough into ball; knead 8 to 10 times.
- 3Roll dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut with floured 3-inch star-shaped cutter. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4Stir blueberries into strawberries. Beat whipping cream and 2 tablespoons sugar in chilled medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff. Split shortcakes in half while hot. Fill bottom of star with berries and whipped cream; top with top half of the star. For a special touch, garnish with toothpicks that have miniature American flags.
- 5Do-Ahead Tip: Before baking the shortcakes, cover and refigerate the cut dough on the cookie sheet for up to 4 hours, or wrap and freeze for up to 48 hours. Bake as directed.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red, White and Blue Shortcake Stars
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.1
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 24.1 mg
- Sodium 678.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 44.7 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: