Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
My daughter loves Red Velvet Cake. I found this in Bon Appetit. I'll surprise her the next time she visits!
- 1 3⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk, divided
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, divided (about 6 oz.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Sift flour and cocoa into small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat 1 1/2 cups sugar and 3/4 cup butter in large bowl until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then red food coloring and 1 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with 2/3 cup buttermilk in 2 additions. Make well in center; pour in remaining 1/3 cup buttermmilk, vinegar, and baking soda. When bubbles form, stir in batter.
- Divide batter equally among paper liners. Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, transfer to rack and cool completely. Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, and remaining 1 teaspoons vanilla in medium bowl until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar; fold in 1 cup flaked coconut. Spread frosting on cupcakes, leaving 1/2" plain border; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup coconut.