Source: Paula Deen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1For the cupcakes:
- 2Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- 3In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- 4In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer.
- 5Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- 6Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled.
- 7Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness.
- 8Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
- 9For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 10In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth.
- 11Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.
- 12Garnish with chopped pecans and a fresh raspberry or strawberry.
- 13Cook's Note: Frost the cupcakes with a butter knife or pipe it on with a big star tip.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (649 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2627.0
- Calories from Fat 1533
- Total Fat 170.4 g
- Saturated Fat 62.9 g
- Cholesterol 342.4 mg
- Sodium 1770.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 262.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 199.4 g
- Protein 20.5 g