Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a non-chocolate version of red velvet. Different, rich, moist and delicious!!! I prefer it over the chocolate varieties.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces red food coloring
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 ounces butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar (10X)
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Mix dry ingredients together. Add remaining ingredients in order, one at a time. Mix after each ingredient is added, batter should be an even shade of dark red.
- Divide batter evenly between 3 cake pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Mix butter, cream cheese and sugar together until creamy consistency.
- Spread on cool layers. The first two layers should have pecans sprinkled generously on top of icing.
- Optional: Color icing for outer cake with a couple of drops of green food coloring. Ice cake and decorate with pecan halves and cherries for a beautiful Christmas cake or experiment for other holidays!
Absolutely perfect! I hate chocolate, but wanted a red velvet layer in my wedding cake. The baker used your recipe and it was moist and wonderfully delicious. Thanks for helping me make my day extra special!
This cake is absolutely delicious! Moist and rich, I love the cake part, but I substitute butter cream frosting for the cream cheese. Yummy!