Recipe by monagrays
This is a non-chocolate version of red velvet. Different, rich, moist and delicious!!! I prefer it over the chocolate varieties.
Top Review by Bippie
Absolutely perfect! I hate chocolate, but wanted a red velvet layer in my wedding cake. The baker used your recipe and it was moist and wonderfully delicious. Thanks for helping me make my day extra special!
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces red food coloring
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 ounces butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar (10X)
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dry ingredients together. Add remaining ingredients in order, one at a time. Mix after each ingredient is added, batter should be an even shade of dark red.
- Divide batter evenly between 3 cake pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Mix butter, cream cheese and sugar together until creamy consistency.
- Spread on cool layers. The first two layers should have pecans sprinkled generously on top of icing.
- Optional: Color icing for outer cake with a couple of drops of green food coloring. Ice cake and decorate with pecan halves and cherries for a beautiful Christmas cake or experiment for other holidays!