Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Very Nice for the holidays. Make sure you use enough red food coloring.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350³F.
- Grease and lightly flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, cocoa and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Add gradually to creamed sugar,alternating with milk.
- Dissolve soda in vinegar and fold very carefully into batter.
- Stir to combine, but do not overmix.
- Pour into prepared baking pans, and bake about 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely before frosting.