Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 46 mins
This good old southern favorite came from my mama. Her version does not include the usual sausage and therefore makes a better accompanyment to delicate entrees such as fish.
- 4 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can tomato paste
- 3 1⁄2 cans water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups white rice
- crumbled bacon (optional)
- Simmer first 6 ingredients for 20 minutes,stirring frequently.
- Pour all ingredients into a rice steamer and mix well.
- Steam for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Serve with bacon crumbled on top if desired.
This was a tasty side dish but I found the tomato flavour a little overpowering. The recipe didn't say what size can of tomato paste, so I used the smallest (5 1/2 oz); another time, I would use half the amount called for. I also found that the rice cooked in an hour in my steamer.