This goes really well with all kinds of barbecued meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (or 425 F).
- 2Lay the red peppers cut side down on a baking tray and brush them with 2 tbsp olive oil.
- 3Bake until the skins start to blacken and blister.
- 4At that point, remove from the oven, put them in a bowl and cover with cling film.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Meanwhile, peel the tomatoes by covering them in boiling water for a few minutes.
- 7Drain and the skins should come off easily.
- 8Quarter the tomatoes, discarding the seeds.
- 9The peppers should now be cool enough to skin.
- 10Once they are skinned, chop into thin strips.
- 11Heat the remaining olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- 12Tip in the onions and chillies and sauté over a medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- 13Stir in the sugar and cook for another two minutes, being careful the sugar does not burn.
- 14Add the tomato and pepper strips along with the vinegar.
- 15Let simmer for 20 minutes or until thick and pulpy.
- 16Put into a sealed container and keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- 17Serve cold.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Pepper Relish
Serving Size: 1 (1498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1135.1
- Calories from Fat 393
- Total Fat 43.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 87.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 190.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.4 g
- Sugars 157.3 g
- Protein 13.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: