Recipe by Maryland Jim
My wife got this from a co-worker who said she got it from a magazine. Very nice soup.
Top Review by katew
Just fabulous soup !! It is quick and healthy and I adored it. I was lucky to have a bag of kale in the fridge - perfect timing. I used tiny baby carrots and also threw in a handful of baby peas. I was nervous that the 2 stock cubes would make this too salty but no, it was perfection. I highly, highly recommend this soup. Made for ZWT 9
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 0.5 (16 ounce) bag baby carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 large vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 (1 lb) package red lentil, picked over and rinsed
- 1 bunch about 3/4 pound fresh kale, rinsed, tough stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped (about8 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Note ( I added more)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and cumin; cook 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add bouillon cubes and 8 cups water. Bring to a simmer. Add lentils. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook about 10 minutes.
- Uncover pot. Raise heat to high; stir in kale and salt. Cook 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally, or unitl kale is tender. Remove from heat; stir in hot sauce.