Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is based on a recipe from Veganomicon. I made substitutions and modifications out of necessity but it turned out so awesomely delicious that I decided I wouldn't even try the original recipe as written! This is best served over hot brown rice. Delicious!
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 piece fresh ginger, grated (about 1/2 inch big)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs cauliflower, trimmed and sliced into small florets (about 1 medium head)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go. Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook about 5-7 minutes, until translucent. Add the grated ginger and cook 1 minute. Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly, then add the carrot and cook another minute.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and then the lentils. Cover the pot, raise the heat to high and allow to boil for 1 minute. Stir, cover the pot and lower heat to medium-low. Simmer the lentils for 10 minutes or until yellow and mushy,.
- Add the cauliflower florets and stir to ensure they are evenly coated.
- Partially cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until cauliflower is tender but not mushy. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, lime juice and salt. Let the curry sit, covered, for about 15 minutes and then stir and serve over rice.