Recipe by Miss Annie
Do you remember Red-Hots? This dish my mother used to make for her kids. I love them still.
Top Review by Susie in Texas
Oh Boy, did this recipe bring back some memories!!! My mom used to make cooked apples this way. I had forgotten how wonderful they were until I found your recipe. Our favorite way to eat them was to spoon them over vanilla ice-cream. Yum!! Thanks, Miss Annie, I'm so glad you shared this one.
- 4 tart apples, such as granny smith
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups red-hot candies
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core, and quarter apples.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the liquid is thickened and the apples are tender.
- Cool the apples in the syrup for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.