Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Do you remember Red-Hots? This dish my mother used to make for her kids. I love them still.
- 4 tart apples, such as granny smith
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups red-hot candies
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Peel, core, and quarter apples.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the liquid is thickened and the apples are tender.
- Cool the apples in the syrup for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Oh Boy, did this recipe bring back some memories!!! My mom used to make cooked apples this way. I had forgotten how wonderful they were until I found your recipe. Our favorite way to eat them was to spoon them over vanilla ice-cream. Yum!! Thanks, Miss Annie, I'm so glad you shared this one.
Oh my gawd...this is the best recipe for red hot apples I have ever tried. I made a tripple batch of them for Thanksgiving.I then used the leftovers in a pie crust, reducing the juice they were cooked in so that it thickens to a glaze for the pie filling. YUM!!!
I tried this recipe and I felt it was a little to spicy. I think it would be good if you cut the redhots and spices in half.