Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A Curry paste recipe I learned at a cooking course in Thailand
- 8 long dried red chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped (only the white part)
- 3 coriander roots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kaffir lime zest or 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh lime leaves
- 1 inch galangal, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons shrimp paste
- Using mortar and pestle or grinder blend all the ingredients together until they form a smooth paste.
- You should have about 6 tablespoons.
Oh baby that was good. Beads of sweat are still running down my brow, and Raul is sprawled exhausted and satisfied on the sofa. I had to settle for ginger and anchovy for galangal and shrimp paste, but with my taste buds peeled off and left sizzling on the side of my plate I have no complaints about having to talk funny for the next day or two.
Excellent! I made this to use in Thai Fish Cakes #41313 and then also used it for Thai Red Beef Curry #124320. I didn't have any coriander or cumin powder so used seeds. Great flavour and will definitely make again.
I made half of one recipe of this curry paste to use in Pumpkin Curry recipe #108578 by Zee Merchant. As I had all the ingredients, I didn't make any changes. I used the 2 tablespoons curry paste called for in the recipe, and have a little leftover, which I will keep in the freezer until I need it. Thank you very much for posting this recipe.