Recipe by Goldcrest
This is a simple recipe I made up just a while ago with the few ingredients I had at hand and wanted to use up. It will serve 2-3 as a soup and makes a good meal for 1 person. Preparation and cooking times don't include cooking the rice.
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 6 -8 spring onions, sliced, white and green parts separated (scallions)
- 100 g about 1/2 cup firm tofu, cut into small cubes (you could substitute with an equal quantity of cooked pulses)
- 1⁄2 cup cooked brown rice (you can adjust this according to your preferences or even substitute noodles or other grains)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup water (broth, again you adjust for your desired consistency) or 1 cup vegetable stock (broth, again you adjust for your desired consistency)
- 1 -2 tablespoon Thai red curry paste (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce (or to taste) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and stir-fry the carrots and spring onion whites for 1 minute. Add the tofu and stir-fry till the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add the rice, soy sauce and curry paste, mix well and cook for about 1/2 a minute.
- Add the stock, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and add the spring onion greens. Season to taste with salt, pepper and chilli sauce. Serve immediately.