Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This one is from CHILI PEPPER magazine. Red Caldwell has been winning cooking, grilling, and barbecueing compititions for the last 15 years. These are the ABSOLUTE BEST TEX-MEX BEANS ever.
- 6 tinned jalapenos (You can cut back on the heat by seeding and devaining the chilies.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 lbs pinto beans, sorted,washed,soaked overnight
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork, cubed 1 x 1 x 1/4 inch
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Place the beans in a crock pot set on low, cover with water.
- Add everything else.
- Cook overnight.
- Add any salt that is needed.
- (Don't salt at the beginning because of the salt pork.) Serve.
- These freeze well and are even better when reheated.
- I had to cut this recipe in half to get it to fit my crock pot.
I am sorry, but I just did not like these. I think that I must have done something wrong, since they have won contests, but I followed the recipe exactly. Thank you for sharing, but I just did not like these.
Wowie ZZowie! DH and I agree that these were the best kicked up pinto beans we have ever had. I used leftover spiral sliced baked ham (just a tad left on a big ole ham bone) instead of the salt pork. Made everything else as directed. We ate off this for three days with cornbread and grated cheese. Even froze some. Thanks for sharing a super recipe. This will be a regular in our house.