Recipe by BethHallKelley
This cake is the same as Red Velvet except you use a different frosting because it truly sets it apart from many cakes. It is a beautiful cake for Christmas or Valentine's day. You'll want to use Old Fashioned Frosting for the frosting. Be sure to top with 2 cups of roasted chopped pecans or walnuts. Yes, this cake is like the mix but is there something wrong with that? I still prefer the flavor and texture of homemade, even the color is better than a box. Don't over bake this one, watch it carefully.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 3⁄4 cups cake flour (sifted)
- 3 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs, salt, and buttermilk, mixing well after each addition.
- Add flour slowly to buttermilk mixture.
- Make a paste with red food coloring, cocoa and vanilla.
- Add paste to first mixture, beating well for 1 minute.
- Stir in soda and vinegar.
- Pour into a 9x13 greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Frost when completely cooled with Old Fashioned Frosting (#33408) and 2 cups of roasted chopped pecans.