1/1 Photo of Red Cabbage and Bacon Salad With Blue Cheese
Look no further! This is a salad! This is a contrast in taste with the red cabbage, bacon, and the blue cheese. A wonderful vinaigrette recipe follows. A great addition to your recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 head red cabbage (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 1 small head romaine lettuce
- 3 ounces blue cheese
- 1/2 lb thick cut bacon
For the vinaigrette
- 1Cut cabbage in half, remove the core, and then cut into quarters. Finely shred the quarters, and transfer to a large bowl.
- 2Heat the vinegar to boiling in a small saucepan. Pour the vinegar over the shredded cabbage and toss to mix so it's thoroughly coated.
- 3Pour the boiling water over the cabbage and let it stand until slightly softened, about 3-4 minutes. Drain thoroughly in a colander, then return it to the large bowl.
- 4Toss the cabbage with enough vinaigrette to moisten well.Taste for seasonings and add more vinegar, if needed. Cover the bowl and marinate the cabbage in the dressing 1-2 hours. The cabbage will turn a pinkish color.
- 5Twist off and discard the root end of the romaine. Wash romaine well, then drain the leaves well. Stack the leaves and roll them up tightly. Cut the rolled leaves cross-wise into wide strips.
- 6Crumble the blue cheese into a small bowl with your fingers. About 10 minutes before serving the salad,stack the bacon slices and cut crosswise into strips. Cook the bacon until crisp and the fat has melted, about 3-5 minutes.
- 7Spoon the hot bacon and pan juices over the red cabbage, reserving some bacon for garnish. Toss them together.
- 8Arrange a bed of shredded romaine leaves onto serving plates.Spoon any remaining dressing over the lettuce. Mound the red cabbage and bacon mixture in the center. Top the salads with blue cheese and reserved
- 9bacon in the center.
- 10Note* this salad can be made ahead with the vinaigrette dressing up to 2 hours. The vinaigrette can be made ahead up to 1 week ahead. Times do not include marinating.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Cabbage and Bacon Salad With Blue Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (606 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 501.4
- Calories from Fat 436
- Total Fat 48.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 36.3 mg
- Sodium 546.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 9.7 g