Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Lovely colour and great flavour!! from Cooking for Diabetics.
Make and share this Red Cabbage and Apple Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 fennel bulbs, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 3 large tart eating apples or 1 large cooking apple
- 6 slices Canadian bacon (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon HOT creamed horseradish
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300f degrees.
- Mix the onions, fennel, if using, red cabbage and caraway seeds in a bowl.
- Peel, core and chop the apples and chop the bacon slices, if using, then stir them into the cabbage mixture.
- Transfer to a casserole.
- Mix the yogurt with the creamed horseradish sauce.
- Stir the yhogurt and horseradish mixture into the casserole, season with salt and pepper and cover tightly.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, stirring once or twice.
- Serve hot.