Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Lovely colour and great flavour!! from Cooking for Diabetics.
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 fennel bulbs, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 3 large tart eating apples or 1 large cooking apple
- 6 slices Canadian bacon (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon HOT creamed horseradish
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300f degrees.
- Mix the onions, fennel, if using, red cabbage and caraway seeds in a bowl.
- Peel, core and chop the apples and chop the bacon slices, if using, then stir them into the cabbage mixture.
- Transfer to a casserole.
- Mix the yogurt with the creamed horseradish sauce.
- Stir the yhogurt and horseradish mixture into the casserole, season with salt and pepper and cover tightly.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, stirring once or twice.
- Serve hot.