Top Review by hotsunday
I made this yesterday, followed the prep instructions to a T, worked out great. I did modify the TBL of salt and pepper to TSp instead. Chef as always great job and a wonderfull meal. Thanks for sharing with us. Left overs will be equalled as good, if not better.
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans
- 2 quarts water or 2 quarts chicken stock or 2 quarts ham stock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb smoked ham, cubed
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 tablespoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick through beans, removing all bad beans and any other foreign particles.
- Wash beans well.
- Place beans in 5 quart pot.
- Add the 2 quarts of water or stock.
- Add the onions and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and let beans boil slowly for 1 hour.
- When beans are soft stir well, mashing some against side of pot.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Add the ham and sausage and saute in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Then add the sausage, ham, and oil to beans.
- Deglaze pan with the cup of water, then pour into beans.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Beans should be nice and creamy.
- Serve over rice.