Recipe by Lisa in Canada
I created this simple soup after I got braces put on my teeth and was having trouble chewing, but still wanted to keep my veggie intake up. I keep eating it now because it has become a personal favorite. :) It comes together quickly and I sometimes make a double batch and reheat it throughout the week whenever I need a quick bite.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 green zucchini, chopped
- 2 -3 leeks, trimmed, washed & chopped
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 bunch spinach, tough stems removed
- 4 -5 cups chicken broth (I find the organic cartons the best tasting)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 1 pinch thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and butter together in a dutch oven.
- Add chopped leeks, saute 2 minutes.
- Add chopped zucchini and broccoli; saute 5 minutes.
- Add spinach, saute until wilted.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and thyme; saute 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, simmer 10 minutes (or until all veggies are very tender).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour into blender in batches and puree until smooth.
- Serve immediately (can be garnished with parmesan cheese if desired) or refrigerate and reheat as needed.
- The flavor of this soup improves overnight.
- Can easily be made vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth.