Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I currently live in Arizona and I have a brother in law who is from Mexico and taught me a very good and easy way to make authentic refried beans. These are my favorite! I can't stand canned refried beans. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 (1 lb) bag dried pinto bean
- 1 pig's foot (or you can use a ham hock)
- 1 small jalapeno, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- wash pinto beans and remove any fragments.
- place pig's foot or ham hock in crock pot, add beans, jalapeno, onion, cumin, coriander powder, and garlic.
- Add water to cover.
- Cook on high until beans are soft.
- Remove pig's foot or ham hock.
- Scoop out beans and mash or puree and in skillet with heated oil add beans and stir til heated.
- Or you can eat the beans with tortillas with out mashing and refrying! Delish either ways!
- Salt as desired.
So easy and so delicious! I wouldn't change a thing.