Authentic Refried Beans
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is an awesome recipe I found online at MexGrocer
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 1 (1 lb) package dried pinto bean
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup bacon grease (optional)
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tablespoon american chili powder
- Put beans and water into Dutch oven.
- Soak at least six hours.
- Pour beans into colander and rinse thoroughly.
- Add two cups water back into the Dutch oven, along with bacon grease, garlic powder, bouillon and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat, simmering for about four to six hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- You'll know when the frijoles are done because they'll be very tender.
- Mash until about only half are left whole.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Perfect refried beans! This was my first time making them and they were much better than canned. I added 1 tsp cumin also. I soaked them overnight and all day and they only had to cook for about 3 hours. I had to add 4 cups of water to boil, no way would 2 be enough. I uncovered the pot for the last 30 minutes and they thickened just enough. Thanks!Reply
see 7 more