Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the BEST broccoli salad ever. And believe me when I say that. This is my grandmother's recipe. I make this for potlucks and I am always stopped multiple times for the recipe and lots of compliments.
- 2 bunches broccoli (florets cut small)
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 1⁄2 lb crisply fried bacon, cooled & finely broken
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients well and set aside.
- Toss everything else together and pour dressing over salad.
- Cool in fridge for an hour.
- Note. I use a 9x13 glass dish for this recipe.
This salad is always a winner! My friends had been making it for a while and I was looking for the recipe... for the dressing. I haven't tried this exact version, but ours is pretty close. Instead of craisins we use raisins, and also replace the cashews by sunflower seeds. I also add a bit of orange cheddar to this recipe. AWESOME! You can't go wrong with this one, just let your imagination go. You need crunch, a little sweet and a little salt.
First off, this salad does not take any time at all to put together, as long as one counts neither the time needed to fry the bacon nor the time needed to chill it! That said, this is A GREAT TASTING SALAD, even though I used only half of the amount of bacon indicated! Loved the flavor, crunch & chew that the nuts, craisins & crisp bacon gave to the broccoli! A real keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
I made this for New Year's and it is the best broccoli salad ever! I used raisins instead of craisins since it was on hand. I also left out the bacon b/c I made this just for my vegetarian friend, and I might leave it out again next time. Thanks for the fantastic recipe.