Recipe by HEP MEP
This is another recipe I made a lot before The-Girl-Who-Hates-Vegetables joined us. One of our favotite summer dinners with a nice hunk of bread. I also added some tomato paste to this to reduce the acidity. Came from We're Cooking Now - an old cooking show circa 1985.
Top Review by A Messy Cook
OK, I loved how this turned out. But that was only after I added salt (1 1/2 teaspoons) and ground coriander (1/2 teaspoon), upped the tomatoes (3 cups) and fresh basil (1/4 cup), and looked at a couple other recipes to figure out how much olive oil to use (1/3 cup). I think this would have been a bit bland as written. It was great with some changes, though. Thanks for the basic recipe!
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook garlic and onions until tender.
- Cut vegetables into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the eggplant,zucchini,pepper,oregano— parsley and stir well.
- Saute about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes,cover and cook over low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Serve hot or cover mixture and refrigerate to serve chilled.