Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is another recipe I made a lot before The-Girl-Who-Hates-Vegetables joined us. One of our favotite summer dinners with a nice hunk of bread. I also added some tomato paste to this to reduce the acidity. Came from We're Cooking Now - an old cooking show circa 1985.
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook garlic and onions until tender.
- Cut vegetables into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the eggplant,zucchini,pepper,oregano— parsley and stir well.
- Saute about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes,cover and cook over low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Serve hot or cover mixture and refrigerate to serve chilled.
OK, I loved how this turned out. But that was only after I added salt (1 1/2 teaspoons) and ground coriander (1/2 teaspoon), upped the tomatoes (3 cups) and fresh basil (1/4 cup), and looked at a couple other recipes to figure out how much olive oil to use (1/3 cup). I think this would have been a bit bland as written. It was great with some changes, though. Thanks for the basic recipe!
I have a house full of guests for the Fourth and a garden bursting at the seams. We had this last night and it was a delicious vegetarian meal. I added a touch of salt. The herbs accentuated the flavors of the fresh vegetables. I served it over rice. So delicious. Thanks MEP.
Mm!mm! I added extra tomatoes, and gave the eggplant a head start in the frying pan, 'cause if there is anything I can't stand it's al-dente eggplant. I also used three big but pretty mild Jalapeno peppers as I can't eat green peppers. This is so delicious, the ultimate comfort food.