Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A recipe from Ricardo I want to try soon.
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 zucchini, cubed
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, brown the eggplant and onion in 60 ml (¼ cup) of the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Set aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, brown the mushrooms with the pepper flakes in the remaining oil. Set aside with the eggplant.
- In the same pan, brown the peppers and zucchini. Add oil, if needed. Put the eggplant mixture back into the pan. Add the tomatoes and thyme. Stir well. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the thyme and add the basil. Adjust the seasoning. Serve with pasta, fish, grilled chicken, or on pizza.
- Tips: Ratatouille is a basic vegetable dish from the southern region of France, particularly Nice. It contains eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, onions, peppers, and garlic. Each vegetable is first cooked separately and then they come together to a smooth a soft texture. Some elements can vary, including adding vegetables (such as mushrooms here) or various aromatic elements (such as olives). It is delicious on pizza.