Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Served with crusty bread or as a side-dish. Can be served over pasta also. A very versatile recipe that can be used to accompany grilled meats or topped over baked potatoes.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 medium eggplants
- 4 zucchini, sliced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 green capsicum, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut eggplants in halves lengthwise, cut the surface about 1 cm deep in a criss-cross pattern and sprinkle with salt.
- Turn cut side down and let drain for 1/2 hour.
- Wipe the eggplants and then cut into cubes.
- Heat the oil and cook the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the eggplant and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add capsicums, zucchini, peeled tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm and sprinkle with a little parmesan if liked.
This was very good, my husband is so picky when it comes to vegetables, but even he enjoyed this. Like the other cook, I too added chili flakes and mixed the green zucchini with the yellow squash. Thanks for the great recipe!
Great recipe! Thanks for a 5-star treasure!
Hi Susie, this a great recipe for ratatouille. I added a few chilli flakes (I always do), an extra clove of garlic (I always do) and used two green zucchini and two yellow to mix up the colours a bit. The end result was hearty and healthy, not to mention delicious. The eggplant was sweet and flavoursome and the dish was lacking in the acidity that can accompany some ratatouilles - I imagine this was due to the bit of sugar added. Great work, Susie, thanks for sharing!