Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Easy dough preparation and delicious berry bars.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup seedless raspberry preserves (or jam)
- powdered sugar (for dusting bars)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar at low speed until combined.
- Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed until a soft dough forms.
- Halve the dough and form into logs.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8 1/2" x 11" glass baking dish.
- Working over the baking dish, coarsely shred 1 log of dough on the large holes of a box grater, evenly distributing the dough into the baking dish. Do NOT pat or press the dough.
- Using a spoon, dollop the preserves over the dough and gently spread it in an even layer.
- Grate the second log of dough on top.
- Using a rubber spatula, tuck in any shreds of dough sticking to the side of the baking dish to prevent them from burning.
- Bake the shortbread on the bottom rack of the oven for about 35 minutes, covering it with foil halfway through baking.
- The shortbread is done when the pastry is golden all over.
- Let cool completely, then cut into 24 bars.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar and serve.