Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is one of the Houston Chronicle's most requested recipes and is originally from Melange Catering. I've served this numerous times over the years and have always gotten many compliments on it. Cook time is chill time.
Top Review by katwall46
This is an excellent recipe. I am a Houstonian and have made this torte many times for parties. I lost my recipe a few years ago, and I am so happy to have found it again on Recipe Zaar! Melange Catering originally suggested serving it with a stargazer (rubrum) lily in the center. It's fragrant and compliments the color of the raspberry preserves beautifully. The torte serves a crowd, is a lovely presentation, and is delicious. It's a classic for your cocktail buffet table, and your guests will love it!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs good quality cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 mayonnaise (I usually use Hellman's)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup good quality raspberry preserves
- fresh raspberry (to garnish)
- assorted cracker
Directions See How It's Made
- Place grated cheese in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature until soft and slightly oily.
- Stir in onions,pecans,cayenne,mayonnaise0t and pepper sauce.
- Knead with hands (wash them first!) until well blended.
- Line a 10 inch pan with plastic wrap (an indented flan dish works best but a cake pan or any pan with a flat bottom works well too).
- Press cheese mixture firmly into pan;cover top with additional plastic wrap and press mixture again to mold firmly.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours, or until cheese is firm again.
- To serve, unmold torte onto onto serving dish, spread top with preserves, garnish with fresh raspberries and serve with assorted crackers.
- The torte can be made ahead, but preserves should not be spread on top more than 1 hour before serving.