1/1 Photo of Random Foo Asian Soup
A random Southeast Asian seafood soup with Malaysian influences. If some of the ingredients are vague, like "dried noodles", it's to make the recipe with for all tastes and needs. (Like rice noodles for low-fat, or egg noodles for a treat.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g package rice noodles or 453.59 g package egg noodles or 453.59 g package ramen noodles
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 113.39 g shrimp, peeled, tail-on
- 1 tom yam broth cubes
- 473.18 ml water
- 118.29 ml snow peas, ends trimmed, cut in half diagonally
- 1 celery, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1 tomato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 113.39 g can light coconut milk (to taste)
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 14.79-29.58 ml thai kitchen roasted red chili paste (or similar)
- 0.75 ml thai kitchen premium fish sauce
- 2.46 ml oyster sauce
- 2.46 ml soy sauce (to taste)
- 1.23 ml sambal oelek chili paste (to taste)
- 1Soak the mushrooms in 1/2-3/4 cup of boiling water.
- 2Soak the noodles in 2 cups of boiling water for 2-5 minutes (depending on package instructions). Drain (reserving soaking water), rinse with cold water to stop cooking, drain well and split between two large eating bowls.
- 3Put noodle-soaking water in pot and add tom yam stock, medium heat. Once cube/stock is dissolved, add oyster sauce and fish sauce. Keep on low heat.
- 4Gently squeeze excess liquid out from mushrooms, reserving liquid. Slice thinly. Add mushroom liquid to broth.
- 5In a small wok over high heat, add vegetable oil. Add chili paste and shrimp. Saute until half-done, then add sliced celery and mushrooms. Saute for another minute and add tomato and snow peas. Saute until peas just barely cooked. Remove from heat and split veggies between bowls, over noodles.
- 6Pour hot broth over noodles & veggies. Add a splash of coconut milk. Sprinkle green onions and cilantro liberally. Enjoy! :o).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Random Foo Asian Soup
Serving Size: 1 (644 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 948.4
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 110.4 mg
- Sodium 906.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 199.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 21.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tom yam broth cubes
light coconut milk
red chili paste
sambal oelek chili paste