Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
funky version of an old fave
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 2 bunches scallions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (1 ounce) envelopes ranch dressing mix or 2 (1 ounce) envelopes ranch dip mix
- 10 red potatoes
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, chopped
- preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- in large skillet brown ground beef with scallions peppers and garlic.
- add 1 envelope ranch dip mix and stir well.
- pour mixture into bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- layer with can of corn.
- in large mixing bowl combine potatoes whipped with butter and cream, and remaining envelope of ranch dip mix.
- spread mixture evenly over top of beef mixture in baking dish.
- top with chives.
- bake 40 minutes at 350°F.
- let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Nice flavor. Using the dressing mix simplified the spicing so even a beginner can get it right. I also used instant mashed potatoes (makes it that much simpler and quicker!).
Good recipe! As someone else mentioned, since there isn't cooking instructions for the potatoes MAKE SURE you boil/mash them, or use instant potatoes, as I did. (i know this may seem obvious but the previous reviewer said their hubby tried to do it with RAW potatoes... lol) Anyway, since I am vegetarian, I actually used the veggie "ground round" beef substitute. It worked just as well as ground beef would have and my friends (even carnivores!) loved it! The ranch flavouring really makes this nice. :) I topped the casserole with cheese for the last 10 mins of cooking to get a nice, cheesy topping. FANTASTIC!
My DH, who is learning to cook, made this dish since it seemed simple enough. It almost turned into a disaster when I caught him trying to whip raw potatoes. He pointed out that there wasn't instructions for cooking the potatoes first. Otherwise, the pie was great.