Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A really simple light & fluffy biscuit. Great with stew or fried chicken
- 5 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water (warm)
- 2 cups buttermilk (room temperature)
- Dissolve yeast into 1/2 warm water, set aside.
- Sift together first five ingredients.
- Using 2 knives cut in 1/2 cup shortening into mix till mixture in pea like in size; add dissolved yeast.
- Add buttermilk and mix well.
- Roll out on floured surface to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Use a round cookie cutter or just cut into squares.
- Bake at 400°F 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Brush tops with melted butter.
I have a small family here; just 4 people... and I can tell you, all of these biscuits were gone within a couple of days. They are SO fabulous. I dont think I have had a tastier biscuit in all of my days LOL. I added about 2 tablespoons of butter to the mixture for kicks. :) I always do that. We totally loved these biscuits. I can tell you that I will be making these regularly whenever we are having biscuits :) I made these with fried fish and hush puppies! YUM!!! :)