Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
a quick batter recipe that makes 2 small loaves
- 4 1⁄4-4 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- In a large bowl thoroughly mix 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- Combine milk, water and butter in a saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquids are warm. (Butter does not need to melt).
- Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add egg and 1 cup flour, or enough flour to make a thick batter.
- Beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl. Stir in enough additional flour to make a stiff batter.
- Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Stir batter down. Mix in raisins, about 1/2 minute. Turn into 2 greased 1 quart casseroles.
- Let rise another 25 minutes. Then bake in a 350 oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from casseroles and cool on wire racks.