Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great for breakfast with butter or jam. This makes a lot of batter, which stores great in the refrigerator (it will keep in refrigerator for about a month) ready to pour into muffin tins in the morning. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (May 1987)
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, melted and cooled (Crisco)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
- 1 (15 ounce) box Raisin Bran cereal, cerial
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 400 - degrees F.
- Grease or paper a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine shortening with sugars.
- Stir in eggs and then gradually add buttermilk.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (flour - salt) just until blended.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Remaining batter can be refrigerated in an airtight container.
Made for Zaar tag. Wow, this recipe makes a lot of muffins! I didn't use the optional nuts because I was trying to keep it as low fat as possible. They turned out good and now I have breakfast ready for days! Thanks ellie!