Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have not tried this breakfast cake. I'm posting this for safe keeping. I found this recipe in The Breakfast Book. A complete breakfast in just one dish, this cake is made from milk, cream, eggs, wheat, raisins, and almonds. Serve warm with whipped cream, or with some heavy cream poured on top.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cream of wheat (or cream of rice or quick grits)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350. Butter a baking dish, 7-inches in diameter and about 2-inches deep.
- Put the milk, cream, 1/3 cup sugar, and the salt in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil and slowly stir in the cream of wheat. Stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat and blend a little of the hot milk mixture into the eggs, stirring constantly. Add the eggs to the milk mixture and beat until well blended. Stir in the almond extract, almonds, and raisins.
- Mix the whole wheat bread crumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle the crumbs generously over the bottom and sides of the buttered baking dish. Spoon in the mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes. Invert the cake onto a serving plate and serve hot in wedges with cream.