Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A different kind of potato salad--this one boasts Okinawan Sweet Potatoes (purple flesh), a medley of red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers, and red onions. It's tossed in a tangy honey-mustard dressing right before serving. Delicious and nutritious! If you count the time it takes to chill down the potatoes, this salad takes about 1hour and 45 minutes to prepare. Or, steam the potatoes a day ahead, and it will only take about 1/2 hour!
- 5 lbs okinawan sweet potatoes, skin on, whole (purple flesh, white skin)
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers
- 2 medium orange bell peppers
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 1 large red onion
- 1 cup salad oil
- 2 cups honey
- 4 cups vinegar (what ever kind you enjoy)
- 2 tablespoons sea salt (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Scrub the sweet potatoes, and steam them whole, with skins on. When you can pierce it with a fork, it is done. Allow the potatoes to cool, refrigerate for an hour.
- In the meantime, Combine all the dressing ingredients and chill.
- Julienne the bell peppers, and toss together, chill.
- Julienne the red onion, set aside to chill.
- Cut the chilled potatoes into cubes. (You may remove the skin if you wish, but the skin has a lot of fiber, and adds to the color of the dish).
- In a large bowl (I use a clear glass bowl to help show-off the salad), Place a layer of cubed potato on the bottom. Top with a layer of the bell pepper medley, and red onion.
- Repeat layers, ending with the bell pepper medley and red onion.
- If you'd like, you could strain the dressing so that no pepper or garlic bits are in the salad. Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving.