A different kind of potato salad--this one boasts Okinawan Sweet Potatoes (purple flesh), a medley of red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers, and red onions. It's tossed in a tangy honey-mustard dressing right before serving. Delicious and nutritious! If you count the time it takes to chill down the potatoes, this salad takes about 1hour and 45 minutes to prepare. Or, steam the potatoes a day ahead, and it will only take about 1/2 hour!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs okinawan sweet potatoes, skin on, whole (purple flesh, white skin)
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers
- 2 medium orange bell peppers
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 1 large red onion
- 1Scrub the sweet potatoes, and steam them whole, with skins on. When you can pierce it with a fork, it is done. Allow the potatoes to cool, refrigerate for an hour.
- 2In the meantime, Combine all the dressing ingredients and chill.
- 3Julienne the bell peppers, and toss together, chill.
- 4Julienne the red onion, set aside to chill.
- 5Cut the chilled potatoes into cubes. (You may remove the skin if you wish, but the skin has a lot of fiber, and adds to the color of the dish).
- 6In a large bowl (I use a clear glass bowl to help show-off the salad), Place a layer of cubed potato on the bottom. Top with a layer of the bell pepper medley, and red onion.
- 7Repeat layers, ending with the bell pepper medley and red onion.
- 8If you'd like, you could strain the dressing so that no pepper or garlic bits are in the salad. Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rainbow Sweet Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (671 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1073.3
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2579.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 182.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.7 g
- Sugars 114.1 g
- Protein 8.3 g