Prep 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great vegetarian meal!!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock (I use Knorr's Vegetable Soup, works fine)
- 1 small butternut pumpkin or 1 small vegetable marrow, seeded & chopped
- 4 ounces fresh peas or 4 ounces frozen peas
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan, add onion and turmeric and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in rice and stock (if using Knorr's pour in the entire soup, the vegetables add flavor and color), bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Boil, steam or microwave pumpkin and peas, separately, until tender.
- Drain and add to rice mixture with red pepper zucchini.
- Co ok for 4-5 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Season to taste with black pepper and serve immediately.
- Variations: Use any vegetables you have and don't be limited by the vegetables in this recipe. Choose vegetables in season and those your family enjoy most!
Very pretty, and tasty too!I used summer squash in place of the butternut, and used Roasted red-pepper instead of fresh,just because that was what I had on hand.I also "stir-fried" my chopped veggies, before adding the rice. I know the recipe called for cooking them separately, but I didn't figure it would change it any.We really enjoyed this. My husband, the self-confirmed "rice-head", ate 2 large servings! Thanks Dave for sharing this recipe.