Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A coworker shared a cup of his wife's potato soup with me and I had to have the recipe. Thought others would enjoy this as well.
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 -2 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced (I have used up to 5 cups)
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (mild or sharp)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper (your choice) or 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (your choice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- 2. Saute onion in butter until softened.
- 3. Stir in potatoes and broth and bring to a boil.
- 4. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 min.s or until potatoes are tender.
- 5. Puree potato mixture in blender or food processor. (If you like pieces of potato in soup, remove 1/3 or more of the potatoes before this step and break into small pieces with a fork.).
- 6. Return to pot over medium heat.
- 7. Stir in cream, cheese, pepper, and salt.
- 8. Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring until thickened (about 5 minutes).