Recipe by littleturtle
Tender, grilled fruit in a spiced brandy sauce atop creamy vanilla ice cream. A sensational summer dessert.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This was really good. I wouldn't hesitate to serve this to company! I made it during in the wintertime, so I had to use my oven broiler instead of the outdoor grill. But I don't think it mattered much. The only thing I would do differently is omit the crystalized ginger because I thought it left a bitter aftertaste. Or who knows, maybe it was the brand I bought. But I thought it just didn't work well with all those lovely, sweet summer fruits. Perhaps a sprinkling of ground ginger might be better than crystalized ginger. The selection of fruits used in this dish--and the brandied sauce that accompanies them--offered a perfectly sweet dessert in and of itself. But it was all the more perfect over a hefty scoop of vanilla ice cream. I will definitely keep this in mind for the grill next summer. What a perfect summer treat!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 large ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and sliced 1/2-inch thick (firm fruits hold up best on the grill)
- 2 small bananas, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 7 ounces blueberries (1/2 pint)
- 5 3⁄4 ounces sweet cherries, halved and pitted (24 cherries)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger (candied ginger)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur or 1 tablespoon cherry flavored liqueur
- 6 scoops sugar-free vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 9-inch square foil baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; place mango and banana slices in pan.
- Stir in blueberries and cherries.
- In small bowl, combine Splenda, brandy, ginger, lemon juice, and cornstarch; stirring until cornstarch dissolves.
- Pour brandy mixture over fruit.
- Cover pan tightly with foil.
- Place on grid and grill on covered grill, over low to medium heat, until juices simmer and fruit is tender 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the liqueur.
- Scoop ice cream into small bowls and top with fruit mixture.