Recipe by The Fat Man
This pound cake is simple to prepare, and can be put together very quickly. It is wonderful when still warm from the oven, or toasted the next day with butter slathered onto it. Exellent with berries.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, Sifted (White Lily, if available)
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (Whole Milk Buttermilk, preferably)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour large bundt pan.
- Spoon flour into measuring cup, add to sifter and when all 3 cups are added, sift.
- Combine flour, sugar and baking soda in mixer bowl of standing mixer (hand-held OK if that is all you have) and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- In separate bowl, lightly beat eggs, then add buttermilk and flavorings and mix.
- Add softened butter and 1/3 of wet mixture to dry ingredients, and mix on medium speed until ingredients are just moistened.
- Scrape bowl down, then beat on high for 1 full minute, turning bowl several times and scraping down sides at least once.
- Add remainder of wet ingredients in 2 additions, beating about 30 seconds after each addition.
- Remove mixer bowl, scrape any batter off beaters into bowl, and with rubber spatula mix batter a few turns to insure that it is well mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and firmly tap pan on counter top to pop any bubbles in the batter.
- Place on middle rack of preheated oven and cook until done, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- If cake bakes longer than 50 minutes, you can butter a piece of foil and lay on top to avoid overbrowning.
- Don't fret if top splits in a circle concentric to the pan -- that is proper for this cake.
- When done, remove to wire rack; cool for 5 minutes, then invert pan and remove (may need to loosen edges with thin knife).
- Do not cover until cool.