Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad has a ginger lime dressing, scallions, cilantro and a bit of heat. Can be served as a side dish or a light meal. Cooked quinoa will keep for 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator. You can make the dressing and prepare the ingredients for the salad a few hours ahead. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is not a grain; it is actually a seed and related to the spinach family. When cooked, quinoa is light, fluffy, slightly crunchy and subtly flavored. It actually cooks and tastes like a grain, making it an excellent replacement for grains that are difficult to digest. Compared to other grains, quinoa is higher in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, copper, manganese, and zinc than wheat, barley, or corn. Published in the New York Times, Nov. 8, 2008.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed if possible
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (more to taste)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil or 2 teaspoons walnut oil
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (3/4 cup uncooked)
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts, sliced thin
- 1 small cucumber, halved, seeded and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 12 -16 cooked medium shrimp, peeled
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the lime juice, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, salt, cayenne, sesame oil, canola oil, and buttermilk.
- In a salad bowl, combine the quinoa, scallions, cucumber, and cilantro.
- Toss with the dressing and divide among salad plates, top each portion with 3 or 4 shrimp, and serve.
I also adored this dish. I found skipping the oil and buttermilk worked for me.
Really great. I made a version of this recently but without the walnut oil and buttermilk. So tasty and really gingery. Maybe I used more ginger. Loved it and this is really healthy too. Thanks for posting. I'll make this one again.
This is a fabulous recipe! I made it for a weekly dinner get-together and it got rave reviews. So much so that I think we are making it again this week! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe