Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious base to a variety of Vietnamese style soups. Recipe from, Cooks Illustrated Soups and Stews. Soooo good. ***A Wonderful base used in my Vietnamese-Style Beef Noodle Soup or my Hot and Sour Noodle Soup with Shrimp and Tomato.
- 1182.95 ml canned low sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium garlic cloves, smashed with knife handle and peeled
- 1 piece gingerroot, two inch, peeled, cut into 1/8 inch rounds and lightly smashed with knife handle
- 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 inch
- 2 pods star anise
- 29.58 ml asian fish sauce
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml sugar
- Over medium-high heat, bring all ingredients to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Reduce to low and simmer- partially covered about 20 minutes.
- Remove solids and discard.
- Cover and keep hot over low heat until ready to serve.
I'm not Vietnamese, but my best friend is, and we're always eating at this amazing Vietnamese restaurant & her mom is always making us food! But, now I'm moved away from her for college and really missed the yummies! Haha. Anyway, it was 3 in the morning and I didn't really have the time to make the broth completely from scratch so I found this one! It's so good!! It's very, very good even though it's a quick fix! I made pho' with rice noodles, cilantro, bean sprouts, lime, hoisin, and sriracha sauce! Yum~ It tasted really close to what I'm used to, so thank you so much!