Continuing my quest to use what I already have instead of going to the store, I found this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens 1993 Best Recipes Yearbook. Abigail Kurtz Mahoney won $200 for her recipe. This is super simple and quick. I used 7 ounces instead of 4 ounces of green chilies, and I probably threw in about 1 cup of cilantro into the soup because I love the flavor. I also had 2 cups of onions but no zucchinis (rats). I tossed in 8 ounces of sour cream instead of serving it with individual bowls, and I skipped the cheese completely (not that I'm lacking in dairy here). The beans were very meaty, and next time I'll throw in some cayenne pepper or some hot peppers for more heat. I like how chunky everything is...a perfect recipe for a cold winter day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 30 ounces pinto beans
- 15 ounces red kidney beans
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans
- 14 1/2 ounces hominy
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 4 ounces diced green chili peppers
- 2 medium onions, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1In a Dutch oven combine tomatoes, undrained pinto and kidney beans, drained garbanzo beans and hominy, tomato paste, undrained chili peppers, onions, zucchini, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, sugar, and salt to taste.
- 2Heat to boiling and reduce heat.
- 3Simmer, covered for 30 minutes and remove from heat.
- 4Add cheese and stir until melted.
- 5Serve with sour cream and garnish with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Veggie Chili Con Queso
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.2
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 18.8 mg
- Sodium 781.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.8 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 25.7 g