In the time it takes to make the boxed stuff, you can make this far superior version, cooked on the stove top and finished under the broiler. From "Noodles Express" Cookbook.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (or up to 1 cup cream- use light cream if desired)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated, divided (choose an aged cheese)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni 8-10 minutes until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- While the macaroni cooks, melt butter over medium heat in an oven safe skillet or saucepan.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often until soft and golden.
- Add flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes until flour is combined and mixture is light brown.
- Whisking constantly, add cream slowly until well mixed. Stir in pepper, salt, nutmeg and garlic. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, a little at a time, until melted.
- Stir in the macaroni to coat with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and parsley on top.
- Place skillet under broiler for 2 or 3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.