1/8 Photos of Quick Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
Raspberry Cordial's Note:
In the time it takes to make the boxed stuff, you can make this far superior version, cooked on the stove top and finished under the broiler. From "Noodles Express" Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (or up to 1 cup cream- use light cream if desired)
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated, divided (choose an aged cheese)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni 8-10 minutes until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- 2While the macaroni cooks, melt butter over medium heat in an oven safe skillet or saucepan.
- 3Add onion and cook, stirring often until soft and golden.
- 4Add flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes until flour is combined and mixture is light brown.
- 5Whisking constantly, add cream slowly until well mixed. Stir in pepper, salt, nutmeg and garlic. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring.
- 6Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, a little at a time, until melted.
- 7Stir in the macaroni to coat with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and parsley on top.
- 8Place skillet under broiler for 2 or 3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 679.3
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 135.7 mg
- Sodium 704.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 23.5 g