Recipe by Raspberry Cordial
In the time it takes to make the boxed stuff, you can make this far superior version, cooked on the stove top and finished under the broiler. From "Noodles Express" Cookbook.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (or up to 1 cup cream- use light cream if desired)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated, divided (choose an aged cheese)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni 8-10 minutes until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- While the macaroni cooks, melt butter over medium heat in an oven safe skillet or saucepan.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often until soft and golden.
- Add flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes until flour is combined and mixture is light brown.
- Whisking constantly, add cream slowly until well mixed. Stir in pepper, salt, nutmeg and garlic. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, a little at a time, until melted.
- Stir in the macaroni to coat with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and parsley on top.
- Place skillet under broiler for 2 or 3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.