Chicken Hatch Chile Verde Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
photo by Zhukov
- Ready In:
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 8 tomatillos, husked and chopped
- 6 New Mexico green chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped (Hatch preferred, can use Anaheim)
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded (rotisserie chicken works fine)
- 3⁄4 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- Cook pasta until al dente and drain. Butter 12-inch cast iron skillet.
- Heat broth with tomatillos and Hatch chiles and cook for 10 minutes. Transfer to food processor and pulse. Add onion, garlic, cilantro and salt.
- Heat oil in saucepan. Add tomatillo mixture and cook over medium-low heat for six minutes. Stir in half and half and cheeses until heated through. Toss in pasta and chicken and place in cast iron skillet.
- Mix last four ingredients for topping and spread over pasta mixture. Place skillet under broiler for 15 minutes until golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!