Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 3⁄4 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bread crumbs, 1/4 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl and wipe out skillet.
- Bring water, 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk, and 1/2 t salt to simmer in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add macaroni and cook, stirring often, until macaroni is al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- Whisk remaining evaporated milk, cornstarch, and hot sauce in small bowl, then stir into skillet.
- Simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Off heat, stir in cheeses, one handful at a time, adding water as needed to adjust consistency.
- Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My boyfriend only likes kraft macaroni & cheese and he actually liked this. I thought it was easy to make and very good. The hot sauce didn't make it hot at all, but added a nice flavor. I left off the bread crumb topping because we don't really like cru nchy with our mac and cheese. Will make again for sure. Thanks for posting
I made this recipe for my sons Birthday dinner. I am a single Dad and don't cook recipes too often. It would have been great if it wasn't for the bread crumbs. It says 2 cups of bread crumbs and then sprinkle bread crumbs over mac and cheese. DO NOT need 2 cups of bread crumbs. Maybe a 1/2 cup at the most. I poored all bread crumbs over mac and cheese and it completely ruined it. Unfortunately had to throw it in the trash it was so bad. Waste of time and money.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!