Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
Chop up some of these delicious, pickled cloves and add to salads, or to your roasts. They pack a lot of flavour. from Quick Pickles: Easy Recipes with Big Flavor by Chris Schlesinger, John Willoughby, and Dan George.
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt or 3⁄4 teaspoon other coarse salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small hot chili pepper, of your choice,slit up the side (or more)
- 1 cup garlic, cloves peeled (2 to 3 heads)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon thyme or 1 tablespoon rosemary (or a combination thereof)
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the vinegar, sherry, salt, peppercorns, bay leaf, and chile, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring once or twice to dissolve the salt.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic, and simmer for 30 seconds or so.
- Remove from the heat and add the fresh herb.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, uncovered, and then pour into a jar with a nonreactive lid.
- Cover tightly and let stand at room temperature for at least a day before sampling one of the smaller cloves.
- The flavor will improve steadily over the first few days, as the liquid penetrates the garlic.
- This pickle will keep, covered and refrigerated, for 2 months or more.
I made this as written with the only small change being the addition of 2 teaspoons sugar after looking at a lot of other recipes. I used the combination of rosemary and thyme as my fresh herbs. After the liquid penetrates the garlic the taste is great. We kept them in the fridge until used up, which wasn't too long. Thanks a lot.
I'm sure these would be great in salads or roasts...that is if you have enough left after everyone's been picking them out of the jar and eating them like candy! These are the best pickled garlic cloves ever! I made them exactly as written using fresh thyme and rosemary. Delicious, I can't stop eating them. I wish I'd tripled the recipe and I will next time. Thanks so much Ev, these are wonderful :)